Hola!

Ok so in the previous post I mentioned I would dedicate a post to the Harley Quinn costume I made for a New Year’s Eve party and now your dreams have come true! (haha I know, JK)

I’ll start out with how this whole project/opportunity came to be… I work at an Optometry office in Rowland heights where the Doctor, my boss, has a strong connection to sports celebrities (he’s a pretty big sports enthusiast!) Well Eric Dickerson, former football player and one of his patients, has a themed New Year’s Eve party at his house like every year and he invited Dr. Liu and his staff (that means me :D)

I felt that this would be the perfect opportunity for me to showcase my abilities and promote my costuming business (hello, costume party, people will need costumes again next year!) I had to get going on something super quick so I started sketching out ideas and draping on my dress form.

HQcorsetsketch

Design sketched out in red/black pin while I was working…

HQcorsetdrape1

HQcorsetdrape2

 The first drape. I made some significant changes to the seam placement for the final pattern.

HQpattern

After I was done draping I transferred onto paper to create the pattern and made adjustments to each piece in order to get my perfect fit. For the fabric choices I wanted to of course keep the red, black, and white colors involved but I wanted to give it a much more historical and feminine look with the lace over satin.

HQredlace

HQlaces

OK so I got the fabric and all the little notions, supplies, and trims let’s get to work! Once I was able to finalize the overall fit I had to start out with the canvas foundation to which I would put all the boning into. I also then cut all the pieces in the right colors (twice I cut the middle piece wrong… Twice. UGH!)

HQcorsetbase

HQcorsetcutpieces

HQcorsetbase2

 Well despite the two wrong cuts (that’s actually 4 pieces that I now have no use for unless I cut more fabric) I had enough and I finally made it work! This whole process ran so smoothly I was honestly surprised!

HQoutershell

As you can see the satin came out so smooth and flat, no puckers (It made me SO happy!!) This was also my first time working with a busk which went a lot smoother than I was expecting too! I hand sewed the corset face (the top layer) and the polka dot lining around the canvas foundation, which also seemed easier this time around. I guess that saying, Practice makes Perfect is fairly true! hahaha

Alright, so I got the whole construction done without too much trouble, but the tricky part was soon to be: Grommets. With this costume, I decided not to hand sew the eyelet grommets (mostly because I didn’t have the time for it but also because the white metal ones I found were pretty perfect!)

HQcorsetfitting

HQcorsetback

Isn’t that Amazing?! Well it wasn’t done yet. It was still awaiting the trim. I found this cool white ruffled tulle and black crocheted lace trim that went together with everything so well I was so happy with my choices for this project! It’s not always this easy, especially when you’re crunched for time!

Oh and I also created sleeves that connect into a collar (this was inspired by the Elizabethan partlet just very modified to where it obviously can’t be tucked into the  bodice…)

HQfinishedcorset

Wooo hooooo this was the finished product and I am So thrilled with how it came out! It was a hit at the party and so much so, I won the costume contest!! (we’re going on our trip right after Valentine’s Day)

Well I hope you enjoyed the simple tour through my most recent costume project process! It was such a great experience for me, truly testing my ambition under a very tight time frame. Keep an eye out on my website, it will soon be for  sale 😀

Thanks for reading!